Direct connect linux bridge to nas on separate NIC

camarok

Jan 12, 2023
Hello proxmox people!

Playing around with some new to me hardware figured I'd give Proxmox a try, so far really liking it, need to brush up on my linux a bit though.

My host has multiple NICs and my Synology has multiple as well. My idea was to directly connect one NIC from my host to one NIC on my Synology, strictly for some storage / access without going over my home network. If anything this is just something I'm trying to proof of concept without doing iSCSI.

I've attempted what I thought would work, create a new Linux Bridge, port the NIC in question with the directly connected cable to Synology dedicated NIC.

Guest OS has static IP and subnet, Synology has static IP and subnet configured on said NIC. I've tried setting an IP and subnet on the Linux bridge, and tried it without. I cannot seem to ping / connect the Guest OS to Synology. If I populate the Linux bridge with an IP, my guest OS can ping the bridge.

Quite a bit of googling proxmox forums and reddit and seems like this should be fairly straight forward, but also the Linux bridge seems to need to be about to route, or it is not passing through correctly.

Thank you all and look forward to the learning :)

create a new Linux Bridge, port the NIC in question with the directly connected cable to Synology dedicated NIC.

Guest OS has static IP and subnet, Synology has static IP and subnet configured on said NIC.
Dumb question: The IPs of the guest and the NAS are in the same subnet?
What does a tcpdump show when run on the physical interface of the Proxmox host?

Hi Gurubert, attempting a dump on the NIC basically shows no traffic while attempting a ping from guest to the NIC or to the NAS. As well please forgive the large screen shot of the configs

root@proxsugar:~# tcpdump -i enp8s0f0 tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v[v]... for full protocol decode listening on enp8s0f0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), snapshot length 262144 bytes ^C 0 packets captured 0 packets received by filter 0 packets dropped by kernel root@proxsugar:~#

Attachments

• config.png
    config.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 21
Hey Gurubert just seeing if you had a chance to review this, otherwise I might just consider iscsi.
This is more of a proof of concept but wanted to get this working via standard networking vs iscsi at this point.

Thanks!

please drop your
/etc/networking/interfaces
ifconfig
and
route
output.

consider drawing your setup in https://asciiflow.com/#/

which ethX is in use. which subnet is connected to your vmbrX?

network of your NAS, and prox.
directly connected or not?

Sorry for the horrendous delay, out of town, and forgot about project.

vmbr0 connects to my internal network, where guest OS's will get internet access /etc.
I'm attempting to make enp8s0f0 interface connect to a new bridge (vmbr80) so I can assign that bridge to specific VMs to allow traffic from my NAS directly to a guest OS, so as not to need to access my internal network.

I've attempted this way as well as an iSCSI connection but for what ever reason I cannot get traffic to talk on the proxmox side. It is my understanding I need to set a static IP on the bridge, that IP needs to be in the same network as the other devices it needs to talk to.

I've also dug up an old router / DHCP server, set it between my NAS port 4 and Proxmox host port 8. NAS gets handed an IP in the DHCP range immediately, I still cannot get traffic to pass to/ from Proxmox on this network. Essentially I'm trying to enable the orange wire in the lovely photo.

EDIT - as an update I've also removed a static IP on the bridge itself, seems as though my DHCP server is unable to assign IPs to any guest OS behind vmbr80.

Code:
root@proxsugar:/etc/network# cat interfaces
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

iface enp65s0f2 inet manual

iface enp65s0f3 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto enp8s0f0
iface enp8s0f0 inet manual
#To Synology

iface enp8s0f1 inet manual

iface enp8s0f2 inet manual

iface enp8s0f3 inet manual

iface enp65s0f0 inet manual

iface enp65s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.72/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr80
iface vmbr80 inet static
        address 10.10.10.88/24
        bridge-ports enp8s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

root@proxsugar:/etc/network#

Attachments

• Network.png
    Network.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!