Difficulty with fstab mount

overload

Oct 4, 2024
Hi, I installed for the first time Proxmox a few weeks ago.
Now I am trying to mount a 2tb drive from a windows maching
for now I want to mount the drive and setup a shared NAS via alpine
alpine works and the share works when I manually mount the drive in the proxmox shell with "mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/2tb"

Now I have read many how to's online and added various lines to fstab with no luck to have successful mount at boot.
I've tried:
UUID=1234-abcd /mnt/2tb ntfs-3g defaults,nofail 0 2
PARTUUID=1234-abcd /mnt/2tb ntfs defaults,nofail 0 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EZRX-00D8PB0_WD-WMC4M1971723-part1 /mnt/2tb ntfs-3g defaults,nofail 0 2
and even just /dev/sdc1, which i understand I should not do because the name has already changed on me once. In any case I tried and it also did not mount.

where am I going wrong?

Mmh, ntfs is in an experimental status and just readonly recommended.
Even sometimes you define ntfs and ntfs-3g but in general all your tries don't look bad either,
maybe the driver isn't ready in kernel when fstab is read.
EDIT: Try ntfs or ntfs3.
When I'm in your shoes I would copy the data out of the disk and do a linux filesystem on (xfs/ext4/zfs) :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!