Difficulty visualizing ZFS setup

Marieau

Oct 5, 2024
There is some confusion going on trying to visualize or design the setup I think will fit my needs. I am hoping that a more seasoned zfs and proxmox king can lend me hand.

The needs:
  • Media server
  • Backups as a service
  • Private GPT
  • Large docker suite
Machine:
  • 12th Gen 12-core
  • 96GB RAM
  • A2000 ADA
  • 4 x NVMe Gen 4 x 4 - Backplane
  • 1 x NVMe Gen 3 x 8 - MoBo
  • 6 x SATA 3.5 bays
  • 10GbE

1. On the motherboard I intend to use a P1600X Optane 118GB storage device for Proxmox, Truenas and any docker container I want.
2. For the backplane I would like to use four 2TB NVMe drives.
3. For the 3.5 bays I intend to use 24TB drives - adding 1 driver each month/quarter

In this setup I would like to emphasis performance and storage. Important files/snapshots are done off-site so there is little appetite for investment in redundancy.

Can someone check this:
1. OS as its own vdev and allocate 64GB as a SLOG device?
2. NVMe drives will be setup as 2 x mirrored 2TB drives > 4TB striped mirror used for special device, ZIL, L2Arc, apps and GPT.
3. Spinning rust setup as Raidz1 in a single vdev > used for media and backup files

So it looks like this:
09-10-24_09.27.28--ds.png

The constraint is Optane availability but I know that many of you run the SLOG in a mirror. This setup also misses a UPS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!