Differential recoveries from PBS to PVE

thelogh

Jan 22, 2024
As mentioned in the previous post here ,
I would need to have an updated copy (sort of a replica) of the VMs on a ceph cluster on a PVE using ZFS.
I currently restore machines with a script on the PVE that using qmrestore restores the latest available backup. This is because from what I understand there is currently nothing that allows you to send a disk differential stored in an RDB in a ZFS poll, right?
So the most obvious thing for me is to restore the backup, but my question now is, once the machine has been restored, how do I send the differences of the disk present in the backup of the vm 700 (drive-scsi0.img.fidx) to the disk on the PVE “vm-700-disk-0” present in the pool? "zfs send" is used only for the data present in the pool, but in the backup the image file is “.img.fidx”.
Is there a way to reconstruct the image and send it via "zfs send"? Is there another way to send a differential of an image from the PBS to a PVE?

I replied to your initial thread. Please avoid double posting and rather ask in the already existing thread for an answer if it has not received any for a while :)

diffrencial restore is very important, my restores take 12+ hours with lot of terabytes, this makes PVE quite obsolete system, I have tested pve for some time and restore part seems to be the biggest obstacle to move completely to proxmox. Disaster recovery of 10 days is meaningless, even with 10 gigabit ethernet it does not work, because hdd is the bottleneck. Home I am wrong and I jusrt can not do it in proxmox system. Thre is actually a cluster system but every backup system has multiple physical locations and nowerdays it is not wise to keep everything in the same L2 subnet due to security concernes.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!