[SOLVED] Didn't use update 2.3 to 3.0 script. debian 6 to 7 failed.

evilbob

Apr 10, 2013
Just wanted to post this in case anyone else has this issue.

I was a dummy and didn't read the instructions. I did an apt-get dist-upgrade on my 2.3 system and ignored the warnings and installed everything. It removed grub and most of the rest of the system. vzdump, vzctl, vzlist were removed but my VM's and containers were still running.

Executive summary:
  • Broken system after apt-get dist-upgrade
  • apt-get -f install (no luck)
  • aptitude clean
  • panic decide to vzdump and reinstall os (no vzdump)
  • read forums find 2.3 to 3.0 update script (fails)
  • try to wget and install vzdump (fails but does install some packages)
  • run 2.3 to 3.0 update script again (success)
  • Reboot
  • System is saved

Full Text below:

I got errors like this during my dist-upgrade
Code:
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libcman3_3.0.12-3.2+deb7u2_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libcoroipcc4_1.4.2-3_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libconfdb4_1.4.2-3_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libcpg4_1.4.2-3_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libdlm3_3.0.12-3.2+deb7u2_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libquorum4_1.4.2-3_amd64.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libsalck3_1.1.4-4.1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried to apt-get -f install to fix this
Code:
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 grub2-common : Depends: grub-common (= 1.99-27+deb7u1) but 1.98+20100804-14+squeeze1 is installed
 libapache2-mod-perl2 : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
                        Recommends: libbsd-resource-perl but it is not installed
                        Recommends: libapache2-reload-perl but it is not installed
 libhtml-parser-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
 libnet-ssleay-perl : Depends: perlapi-5.14.2
 libpango1.0-0 : Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.8) but 2.24.2-1 is installed
 libperl5.14 : Depends: perl-base (= 5.14.2-21) but 5.10.1-17squeeze4 is installed
 perl : Depends: perl-base (= 5.14.2-21) but 5.10.1-17squeeze4 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

I decided to read the forums and wiki and found there is a script to preform the upgrade. I got it and tried to run it
Code:
#./pve-upgrade-2.3-to-3.0 
Can't locate File/Basename.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at ./pve-upgrade-2.3-to-3.0 line 15.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./pve-upgrade-2.3-to-3.0 line 15.

Nothing was working well so I was going to backup and reinstall but vzdump had been removed. I tried to reinstall it
Code:
#wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/lenny/pve/binary-amd64/vzdump_1.2-16_all.deb
#dpkg -i vzdump_1.2-16_all.deb

Again it wanted to replace most of the packages on my system but it also wanted to shutdown my containers! I went ahead and answered yes. It shutdown all my vm's but failed to install. It also got my system to a point that I could run the update script

After running the update script (took a while) My system was working again.

Thanks to everyone on the forums and thanks to the Proxmox team for such a great product!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!