[SOLVED] Did I install PFSense correctly?

Halfhidden

May 14, 2021
I just wanted to ask the community if I have set up PFSense correctly as I've only ever tried to do this once before and failed. My main concern is that the guests are using PFSense to access the internet.

OK here's what I did.
I already had Proxmox VE installed and running and has about 8 VM's and a few CT's. Almost all of them were accessible through the internet through Nginx reverse proxy manager.
As I haven't set up the Proxmox firewall, I installed PFSence instead.
I created another Linux Bridge in the Node and used a different ip from the existing Linux Bridge
Example:
Existing Linux Bridge LAN 192.168.0.1
New Linux Bridge for WAN access 192.168.4.20

I then installed PFSense and configured the LAN and WAN
Then pinged Google whilst still in the installation console and got all the packets through.
I then finished the install, changed the admin password, set the time, set the host name, dns servers.
In the dashboard the LAN and WAN interface are both up, so all in all I think PFSense is installed and running.

So my two questions are:

1 Do I need to do any changes to the guests that were already installed before I installed PFSense. For instance, do I need to change the network setting?
2 I have not set up any rules in PFSense, should I or are the default rules ok.
I cannot see a way to check if the guest is routing through PFSense or still using the access it had before PFSence was installed.

Really appreciate any input or criticisms

Last edited:
hi,

1 Do I need to do any changes to the guests that were already installed before I installed PFSense. For instance, do I need to change the network setting?
yeah, you'll have to change the gateway address inside the guests to the IP address of your pfsense.
you also need to make sure that your other guests are using the LAN bridge of your pfsense.

2 I have not set up any rules in PFSense, should I or are the default rules ok.
that depends highly on what you want to do with your guests.

I cannot see a way to check if the guest is routing through PFSense or still using the access it had before PFSence was installed.
in your guest you can do traceroute google.com to see if it's routing through the pfsense's IP address.

Reactions: Halfhidden
hi,

yeah, you'll have to change the gateway address inside the guests to the IP address of your pfsense.
you also need to make sure that your other guests are using the LAN bridge of your pfsense.

that depends highly on what you want to do with your guests.

in your guest you can do traceroute google.com to see if it's routing through the pfsense's IP address.
Excellent ! Sorry it has taken so long to reply but I've been out of town.
I can now see that I haven't set up the Pfsense firewall correctly as I haven't placed it at the perimeter and the clients on a separate internal subnet. My attempt exposed the guests as they were all placed at the perimeter.
Also, silly question about the rules. Obviously I will need to set up different rules and ports for different guests.

Thanks once again for the help Oguz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!