[SOLVED] DHCP does not work in nested virtualisiation

grmg2010

May 12, 2022
Hello,
I have set up a three node ProxMox cluster on a Hyper-V host for test purposes. During the installation, all three nodes received an IP for the management interface via DHCP. The address distribution is done by a pfSense VM running on the same Hyper-V host.
For the virtual machines and containers running on the ProxMox hosts, I have integrated a second network adapter and provided it with a bridge. This bridge does not have its own IP. If I link the second Brige to a VM or a container, I do not get an IP from the DHCP of the pfSense. However, pfSense distributes addresses to other VMs outside of ProxMox without any problems. Thats why i think, my network configuration inside ProxMox is not correct. Do I need to use vLANs, even there is just one single network connected to that bridge? Did i miss anything important while configuring the second network adapter in ProxMox?

Regards

Last edited:
If anyone comes up with the same problem. MAC-adress spoofing need to be enabled for the virtual NIC on the Hyper-V host.

Reactions: 0xValoo
If anyone comes up with the same problem. MAC-adress spoofing need to be enabled for the virtual NIC on the Hyper-V host.
I would like to thank you for this precious information, because I didn't find it anywhere else on internet. It's just work perfectly now, you saved my day.

Reactions: bkelsch
I would like to thank you for this precious information, because I didn't find it anywhere else on internet. It's just work perfectly now, you saved my day.
I second that! Just creating the same thing myself and you saved me hours of banging my head!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!