Deploying a QCOW2 image on V.2

gregober

Apr 20, 2012
Hello folks,

I am new to proxmox. Have deployed It on a test server and started playing with it a bit.
Now I am getting into more serious stuff…

We have created a QCOW2 image of one of our server and would like to redeploy It on proxmox.
It seems that I have been able to deploy It somehow, but when I try to start It I have the following message :

Code:
Warning: configuration file for distribution testbed.tar.gz not found, using defaults from /etc/vz/dists/default
Starting container ...
Container is mounted
Unable to open /var/lib/vz/root/100/sbin/init-logger: No such file or directory
Unable to copy init-logger
Not enough resources to start environment
Container start failed (try to check kernel messages, e.g. "dmesg | tail")
Container is unmounted
TASK ERROR: command 'vzctl start 100' failed: exit code 6

What is the recommended way of deploying this image ?
Any recommended lecture / pointer will be welcome ?

[solved]

I have managed to make It work :

1. Created a VM in proxmox web GUI using .qcow2 when asked (under CD/DVD choose "no media")
2. Identify the location of the recently created image on the proxmox system : /var/lib/vz/images/xxx
3. cd into the xxx directory corresponding to the newly created machine
4. mv the system created by proxmox and rename it to smthg like : vm-102-disk-1.qcow2.old
5. copy your external image to the system and put It the directory /var/lib/vz/images/xxx (where xxx=VM number)
6. delete the vm-102-disk-1.qcow2.old
7. start the VM machine

You are done !

Thanks for your support.

Or....

# mkdir /var/lib/vz/images/(VMID)/

and move your .qcow2 image into that directory, then

# vi /etc/pve/nodes/(nodename)/qemu-server/(VMID).conf

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1 (or how many cores to give the machine)
ide0: local:209026/vm-209026-disk-1.qcow2 (or whatever your qcow2 image name is)
memory: 1024 (or how many MB to give the machine)
name: your.machine.name
net0: e1000=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7 (or whatever type of qemu machine you want)
sockets: 1 (or however many physical cpu's to give the machine)

Save & done... Go the control panel and start your machine.

Thanks for the advice. It's very strange that importing a qcow2 file is completely missing from the web interface. Copying in and renaming the file behind the scenes is awkward and far from obvious.

Might be be due to limits of web interfaces - uploadeds of large files (200GB+) can be dodgy.

With respect, blackpaw, that's just old-school superstition. Downloads via http are commonplace on the Internet. And what I'm talking about is a local file transfer. It really can't miss. It's quite silly that I had to search the support forum to find out a back-door method to accomplish a completely routine aspect of creating a VM. This is not a slam against Proxmox in particular. I have colleages exploring other VM platforms who also get frustrated with the unnecessary difficulties that block their progress. "You have to Google every step!," one told me. Developers' heads are just in a different space than users', I suppose. I was attracted to Proxmox by its simple bare-metal installation from an ISO. There will be a few more puzzles to solve, no doubt. But it still looks to me like a good VM platform.

Reactions: alamadrid
With respect, blackpaw, that's just old-school superstition. Downloads via http are commonplace on the Internet.

I was referring to uploads, which used to be somewhat less reliable.

Just a thought though, might be nothing to do with it.

This post talks about moving a KVM image. Will these instructions work for a template as well? When I look at the .conf file for a template, it looks just like an email except there is one extra variable 'template=1'

thanks
Athir

Or....

# mkdir /var/lib/vz/images/(VMID)/

and move your .qcow2 image into that directory, then

# vi /etc/pve/nodes/(nodename)/qemu-server/(VMID).conf

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1 (or how many cores to give the machine)
ide0: local:209026/vm-209026-disk-1.qcow2 (or whatever your qcow2 image name is)
memory: 1024 (or how many MB to give the machine)
name: your.machine.name
net0: e1000=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7 (or whatever type of qemu machine you want)
sockets: 1 (or however many physical cpu's to give the machine)

Save & done... Go the control panel and start your machine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!