Delivery and Read notifications not work as needed

MamlinAV

Dec 25, 2019
Hello everyone

I have PMG-6.1 in chain with Exchange 2010.
PMG work as incoming and outcoming relay for Exchange server, all works fine except one thing:
read and delivery notifications not come to Exchange users.
Let me explain:

User write email to external recipient with Outlook and set "Request a Read Receipt" and "Request a Delivery Receipt" checkboxes in tracking group of options.
Exchange transfers message to PMG smarthost/relay and user get message "Relayed" but not "Delivered" or "Read".

Internal notifications in Exchange work as expected, the problem only with external recepients.

Where can be a problem?

Hmm - I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of Exchange and it's features. It may well be that they simply do not work over a Proxy as PMG
but rather only if the communication is directly Exchange -> Exchange.
(I remember one case where the 'recall' (as in request the message to be deleted, before the recipient reads it) did end up in most recipients, who wer not using Exchange got multiple copies of the mail))

Regarding the Delivery Receipt - maybe this works via DSNs - see : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-about-read-receipts-and-delivery/ba-p/587312

and hence could be configured inside postfix http://www.postfix.org/DSN_README.html - via the templating engine https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine

You could consider asking Microsoft support about how these things are implemented - and how to configure a Proxy to pass them along.

I hope this helps!
Please let us know if you find out something new - it might be of interest to other users as well!

Thanks!

I have the same situation.
I have PMG-6.4 in chain with Exchange 2016.
I changed the mail gateway (Xwall --> PMG).
Delivery notifications come via Xwall.
User get message "Relayed" via PMG.
Xwall uses flag "NOTIFY=SUCCESS,FAILURE,DELAY" when sending a message.

Hello everyone

I have PMG-6.1 in chain with Exchange 2010.
PMG work as incoming and outcoming relay for Exchange server, all works fine except one thing:
read and delivery notifications not come to Exchange users.
Let me explain:

User write email to external recipient with Outlook and set "Request a Read Receipt" and "Request a Delivery Receipt" checkboxes in tracking group of options.
Exchange transfers message to PMG smarthost/relay and user get message "Relayed" but not "Delivered" or "Read".

Internal notifications in Exchange work as expected, the problem only with external recepients.

Where can be a problem?
Have you solved the problem?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!