Decode disk MBR's bootstrap code after a PVE installation

alex.tls

Oct 17, 2020
Hello ,
I just setup PVE 6.2.1 on HP Z600 (not support UEFI), but before that , I tried PVE 6.4.1 , the installation got stuck at the 99% progress ,which is "Making system bootable" , I wait for that a long time, but it was still not competed, then I abort the installation.(I also can't find any error in debug mode -- cat /tmp/installation.log)

If I install PVE with v6.2.1, the installation was completed without problem, but I feel confused for bellow concerns:
1. when I reboot my host , the host keep show me "Booting from Hard Disk ..." for one-two minutes , then it boot into PVE, when it boot into OS , I check my hard disk from shell. I found PVE installation format my 12 hard disks with GPT. but my host is too old , it just support BIOS , not UEFI , how can it boot GPT hard disk ?

2. Later I learn that GPT scheme has a sector reserved for MBR (0 sector, first sector of disk) for compatibility. then I check the first sector on one of my hard disk with HxD tool. it's a 512Byte sized sector, the first 446 Bytes is for bootstrap code, the middle 46 Bytes is for partition table, and the last 2 Bytes is for MBR signature. GPT header begins at 2rd sector.

3. just like the attached screenshot, it just mentions a little information which I can understand (.>>.pev.i.s.z,o .. strange letters), so it can't make me understand how it work, I want to know how to translate the bootstrap code (first 446 Bytes) into human readable code. I want to know how PVE is boot on my Z600 , as it's disk is GPT format , and it doesn't support UEFI. I'm a little worried that it will fail to boot in the future.

gpt-reserved-MBR.PNG

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!