Debian/ProxMox with OCZ Z-Drive

sirmikealot

Jan 6, 2011
I've been speaking with OCZ about this for a while after, of course, investigating the solid state storage arena for numerous years. So far there are only a handful of mfg's that are producing 'bootable' solid state storage devices via PCIe controller card, and OCZ is still beating them all. Since the "CloudServ" is so insanely fast, expensive and not quite out yet,... some of us are stuck in the world of R1 or R2 based z-drives which have been end-of-lifed. ( I have several of these ).

Regardless,... I'm not sure who to talk to about this,... but my contact at OCZ seems to think that if there's enough interest in this, they would develop a driver for Debian and/or ProxMox.

I'm writing this to notify both the ProxMox staff, as well as any members who would love to see this come to pass. I've been watching the entire arena for over 15 years, when they used to be called "ram" drives at the PCI/PCI-x level. Non of them were bootable those days.

OCZ is seriously making the fastest stuff you can buy, and believe me when I tell you,... our database sweeps took 5.5 hours - and after putting in a z-drive (r2?), the entire process dropped to 14 minutes. WAY faster than regular sata/ssd's.

Anyway folks,... I'm trying to get a connection and dialog going between ProxMox and OCZ - as well as any of you out there who would love to see this as well. ProxMox is basically the only viable game out there in comparison to HyperV or VMWare. ( I've tried them all, including VirtualBox and others that are no longer in business ). But proxmox is the closest thing to 'bare metal' that I could find out there, that WORKED well. ( koodos, guys. love it. )

Here's my contact at OCZ,...

luke hartono
lhartono@ocztechnology.com
408 - 896-9790.

I realize I can't make anyone 'build' a driver nor can I cause ProxMox guys to include it, but I can at least try to get the ball rolling.

Once again, thanks guys. Keep up the great work !!

I should point out that, if you are happy with 70k IOPS,... then SuperTalent makes a drive I just spent a month testing, called the "RaidDrive II". It is far less expensive than the OCZ products, but not as fast as OCZ's newest stuff. ALSO,... more importantly, the SuperTalent RaidDrive II, IS detectable by pretty much most O/S's out there. I tested it with CentOS, Ubuntu, Various windows servers and so on, and it booted and loaded without a hitch. It's just not as fast as OCZ. FYI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!