Debian 12 Stuck at Booting from Hard Disk

cnayre

Sep 17, 2024
Hi I'm very new with server virtualization , recently I install a new Debian 12 in one of our Nodes. I skip the installation of GRUB since there are other existing virtual machines in this node, my assumption is installing GRUB might affect the booting of the other virtual machines. (FYI: I was not the one who install and configure the existing virtual machines)
Now when I try to connect to Debian 12 VM, the console is stuck at Booting from Hard Disk...
Appreciate you help
-Canil

Hi!

Just to get things right -- you're running PVE on your four nodes? If so, and if you are creating your vm via the webinterface with the 'Create VM' button top right, you assign the guest an isolated disk in step 4 of the wizard.

So, no worries putting GRUB onto this disk!

Hi!

Just to get things right -- you're running PVE on your four nodes? If so, and if you are creating your vm via the webinterface with the 'Create VM' button top right, you assign the guest an isolated disk in step 4 of the wizard.

So, no worries putting GRUB onto this disk!
Hi dherzig

Thank you for you reply. Is PVE stands for Proxmox Virtual Environment? We only have 3 Nodes then I'm creating the Debian vm into Node 2.
Yes I'm creating my vm via webinterface with "Create VM" button.

I can't remember if there is an option to assign for guest an isolated disk, I will try to rebuild the VM and try you suggestion.

Thank you.

Hi cnayre,

nevermind, yes, I meant Proxmox Virtual Environment!

Just to be clear -- you will not find the exact words 'isolated disk', i just used this wording to point at not having to worry about the bootloaders of other guests when creating a VM. That's one of the beauties of virtualization. On the host each 'harddrive/VM Disk' for a guest is a file, clearly separated from the other ones!

Happy virtualizing!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!