Debian 11 problem

richi72

Jan 26, 2023
Hello all. I'm new to proxmox, and I am having some strange issues I can not explain or solve.

I have installed proxmox in two different machines with the same proxmox version (7.3-4). In oneof them (machine A) everything is working as expected.
In the other system (machine B) I'm having a behaviour I cant explain:

I migrated from an old LXC instalation some debian 11 containers, and those containers (that run apache, redis and mariadb) work fine. But today I have been trying to create some new debian 11 containers with those same programs running, and they dont work. Im getting, for example in redis:

Code:
Process: 771 ExecStart=/usr/bin/redis-server /etc/redis/redis.conf --supervised systemd --daemonize no (code=exited, status=226/NAMES>
Main PID: 771 (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)

or in apache:

Code:
jan 26 21:21:02 test systemd[175]: apache2.service: Failed to set up mount namespacing: Permission denied
Jan 26 21:21:02 test systemd[175]: apache2.service: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/sbin/apachectl: Permission denied
Jan 26 21:21:02 test systemd[1]: apache2.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE

If I perform the same test on Machine A, using the same debian 11 template, and installing the same packages (apache, redis, mariadb), everything works fine. As far as I know, both instalations are identical, and I dont really understand what can be happening. I have been looking, and there are some posts reporting the same issue, that sugest you should use nesting = 1 and unpriviledged containers. I have done both things, and still the new containers do not work.

One last test was to create a second CT using the same template created from the old LXC machines. What I found is even more strange: The first CT (imported yesterday) works, and the second (imported today ) does not work. Both on machine B. As far as I can see I created them using the same options and the same template. Can some one point me to what should I do, to understand what is going on?

Thanks and regards

The original LXC containers were priviledged, but I restored them unpriviledged. The first time I did this, the container worked, the second time it did not.

The new containers are unpriviledged in both machines and have nesting =1. In one machine they work, an in the other they dont.

I think there is a BUG in proxmox. I'm not sure how I did get to the BUG, but if I create a CT using ID 104 and install debian 11, I can not install redis in the CT. If I repeat the same with ID 105 I get the same error, but if I create a CT with ID 106, the problem dissapear. I think for some reason ID 104 and 105 are getting created priviledged or with nesting = 0 (no matter how I create the container), but ID 106 is back to normal. Maybe there is a stale configurations file. Does this make any sense to anyone?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!