[debating] Should I run nutd directly on PVE or as a VM/container?

Jul 7, 2021
Hey everyone,

I have a UPS connected directly to my PVE host by USB, I would like to monitor it with nutd, my gut is that since nutd is a small daemon and also since if the battery gets low it needs to anyhow do drastic things like shutting down the host it should just run directly on the host instead of in a container/VM but I see a lot of the guides going in the container/VM direction.

What are the pros/cons here?

That is exactly my instinct, but because others were doing it that way (there is even a topic about the LXC route on this forum) I was questioning myself.

One pro from running it in a container would be the ability to transfer it more easily to a different node in a cluster, for example if that nodes needs to restart/be off for a bit for maintenance, and you want the monitor to remain active during that time (and only run 1 monitor per cluster to shut down the entire cluster for example.
Another one would be to keep your cluser-server "clean" so that updates and the like (both from proxmox and from the software) can't mess up (some) dependancies for the other.

Just my 2 cents, and I think it still should be fine to install it on the server, especially if you at least once a while verify things work after updates and the like.

One pro from running it in a container would be the ability to transfer it more easily to a different node in a cluster, for example if that nodes needs to restart/be off for a bit for maintenance, and you want the monitor to remain active during that time (and only run 1 monitor per cluster to shut down the entire cluster for example.
Another one would be to keep your cluser-server "clean" so that updates and the like (both from proxmox and from the software) can't mess up (some) dependancies for the other.

Just my 2 cents, and I think it still should be fine to install it on the server, especially if you at least once a while verify things work after updates and the like.
If it were a networked UPS but here it's just USB so if the host is down there is no monitoring unless I physically plug it in elsewhere, for me the way to move easily would probably just be to build an ansible automation, the server doesn't store anything as far as I recall and if I had clients they would be pointed at a hostname which I could point wherever the server is.

/Edit - thanks to both of you for your input I should have said that earlier :X

Last edited:
Reactions: gurubert

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!