Data corruption on a win2003r2 guest with IDE or SCSI driver

Kurgan

Apr 27, 2018
I have tried (and rolled back) a P2V of a win2003r2 server. Everything seemed fine with IDE virtual disks, but when backup task (snapshot) started on the VM, I got a lot of IDE timeouts in the windows guest log, then the VM crashed. I found the VM simply switched off. Restarted it, found the errors in the log, switched to SCSI virtual disk, restarted, tried to run a backup again, and again I got timeouts in windows log. This time I also got ntfs corruption (indicated in the logs, and verified by a checkdisk).

At this point I rolled back to the phisical, then I have run more tests on the abandoned virtual installation. I have found that using virtio (not scsi) disk seems to avoid corruption, even if I still get event 129 in windows logs (which I googled and it means timeout) while running a snapshot backup.

Backups are made to a NFS remote storage via a gigabit network, and the nfs server is capable of sustained full gigabit tranfer rate.

Anyway the issue is with the timeouts and filesystem corruption. This of course is an enormous issue.

Windows 2003R2 is extremely old, why do you still use this OS?
Is there some sort of software running, that isn't supported on a newer OS?

I am modernizing a situation that I inherited, and wanted to p2v the elderly server (17 years) before it breaks down, to be able to migrate everything to a newer software later. It seems that the old hardware will stay in production until I'm able to configure a new server and move everything to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!