DAB 1.1.1 Error with initial spaces in Makefile

apmuthu

Renowned Member
Feb 26, 2009
Chennai - India & Singapore
github.com
When we edit the Makefile for use with DAB v1.1.1 in Proxmox VE v1.1, we get an error if we use a set of 8 spaces instead of a TAB preceding the command (indentation). The error reads out as:
Makefile:14: *** missing separator (did you mean TAB instead of 8 spaces?). Stop.
If we find that we are getting errors during the make process, we need to clean up the 90000 named files in /etc/vz/conf and see that the /var/lib/vz/private/90000 folder is deleted with a rm -rf 90000 command. Also for eg., if we are building the appliance in the folder /var/lib/vz/template/appliancename folder, there will be a .veid file which needs to be deleted as well if the Makefile (make command) gets aborted during thebuild.

When we edit the Makefile for use with DAB v1.1.1 in Proxmox VE v1.1, we get an error if we use a set of 8 spaces instead of a TAB preceding the command (indentation).

Yes, that is the makefile syntax - you need TABs, not spaces.

If we find that we are getting errors during the make process, we need to clean up the 90000 named files in /etc/vz/conf and see that the /var/lib/vz/private/90000 folder is deleted with a rm -rf 90000 command. Also for eg., if we are building the appliance in the folder /var/lib/vz/template/appliancename folder, there will be a .veid file which needs to be deleted as well if the Makefile (make command) gets aborted during thebuild.

A simply 'dab clean' can do that for you?

- Dietmar

make clean may not do the job. The work around above did the job in those instances.

'dab clean' does exactly what you describe above. Why do you think it does not work? If it does not work it is a bug. If so, how can i reproduce it?

- Dietmar

Thanks Dietmar. Here is what I did when I was creating the Makefile for the Joomla! v1.5.12.
After expanding the Joomla! tar,gz file, I needed to expand the corrections to the sql taken from the Joomla! SVN. So I inserted the line having joomla1512upd.tar.gz in the Makefile as in:
mkdir ${BASEDIR}/var/www/joomla
tar -xzf Joomla_1.5.12-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz -C ${BASEDIR}/var/www/joomla
tar -xzf joomla1512upd.tar.gz -C ${BASEDIR}/var/www/joomla
touch ${BASEDIR}/var/www/joomla/configuration.php
Unfortunately, I had used "(" and ")" instead of "{" and "}" for the $BASEDIR variable and used spaces in the initial indent instead of tabs.
This resulted in a premature exit from the Makefile.

I do not know why a make clean did not get rid of the 90000 folder. It could have been that I might have inadvertantly deleted the .veid file after a manual attempt at debugging by executing each instruction line in the Makefile which resulted in the creation of 90001, 90002 etc each time I went thru' it.

In the confusion that ensued, I manually deleted all the 9000x conf files in the /etc/vz/conf folder and then I found that the 9000x folders were not getting deleted when I used make clean. As what I did in panic was what most probably caused this state of affairs, I hope any correction of DAB would not result in unintended effects.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!