CT freezing

rossd

Nov 16, 2023
I have a LXC container that is freezing after about 20 minutes of usage.

My proxmox server is running two nodes as a cluster. I've tried this container on both nodes and it freezes after about 20 minutes on both (both nodes are pretty much empty of all other vms/containers to rule out resource constraints).

When it freezes I can't type anything into the shell, and rebooting it often doesn't work so I need to reset the node.

I've had something like this in the past but it's been when I've been writing things to an NFS server. The only NFS server it talks to is running fine, and I have other containers talking to it the same way without issue. It mounts nfs inside docker as a volume, so the fstab is empty anyway which is what was causing the issue.

I ssh'd into it and ran top. I've attached a screenshot showing that. I've also attached a screenshot showing the proxmox gui, and that all looks fine to me. The only thing thats a bit weird is the disk io chart is totally empty. I know disk IO is working, so not really sure why that graph looks empty, however some other functioning containers also show the same.

The server is running docker with lots of little apps on it. These have been running for a long time without issue. I was trying to install mastodon on the server when things went wrong, but I don't understand how that could have caused it, and all those containers are now stopped anyway, yet the issue still remains.

I've stopped all docker containers so I'm going to give that a try and see if that helps.

Any other pointers to help track this down would be appreciated!

1717701612810.png
1717701652936.png

Last edited:
Linux 6.8.4-2-pve

It crashed when the only docker container it was running were:
gethomepage
nginx proxy manager
dockage

I stopped every other container.

excuse my ignorance but is there a known issue or some other reason to do this? I'm still a bit new with linux!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!