CRS (cluster resource scheduler)

bastinator_school

Sep 10, 2024
Hi i am about to deploy a 7 host proxmox cluster and want loadbalancing.

Ive read alot about CRS but to me its unclear whether CRS is only used for bringing up HA machines or whether it can handle live migrations to loadbalance my servers

any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Hi,
please see: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-ha-manager.html#ha_manager_crs
There currently is no dynamic load balancing. Load balancing will only happen when guests need to be recovered/migrated off from a node that failed or goes into maintenance. There also is the ha-rebalance-on-start option. If enabled, when starting a new guest, the node with the lowest (static) usage will be chosen. Please note that all of this is still a technology preview, usage from non-HA guests will not be considered and the calculation is based on the statically configured RAM/CPU of guests rather than the actual dynamic usage.

Reactions: bastinator_school
Hi,
please see: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-ha-manager.html#ha_manager_crs
There currently is no dynamic load balancing. Load balancing will only happen when guests need to be recovered/migrated off from a node that failed or goes into maintenance. There also is the ha-rebalance-on-start option. If enabled, when starting a new guest, the node with the lowest (static) usage will be chosen. Please note that all of this is still a technology preview, usage from non-HA guests will not be considered and the calculation is based on the statically configured RAM/CPU of guests rather than the actual dynamic usage.
thank you for your response ive read the documentation the part that tripped me was

The CRS algorithm is not applied for every service in every round, since this would mean a large number of constant migrations. Depending on the workload,this could put more strain on the cluster than could be avoided by constantbalancing.That’s why the Proxmox VE HA manager favors keeping services on their current node.

because it souded like it would be loadbalancing but thank you anyway

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!