Created first VM, can't get second disk to show up

Covy

Feb 28, 2023
I decided to give Proxmox a test-run after being an ESXi user for a LONG time. I stood up a Windows 2019 server VM, but have a few issues:

1. It will not boot up without the Windows ISO set up on the CD drive (ide2)

2. Biggest issue: I added a new drive (1.5TB) as IDE1 and it shows orange text all the time and isn't recognized in Windows.

1677542217086.png

Not sure if that image helps, but it clearly outlines the problem at least. That Hard Disk (ide1) is not recognizable at all to windows (Computer Management / Disk Management).

Any help would be appreciated.

That most likely wasn't the issue. SCSI Single definitely works in windows. Orange means the change was not commited to the config yet. If a reboot doesn't change that, shut the VM down, change a different setting (e.g. SCSI Controller to something else and back to single)

Under SCSI, should Cache remain as Default (No Cache), and should Discard be unchecked?

TY

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!