[SOLVED] Create of new VM fails with can't create config file

sygibson

Mar 25, 2020
Hi all - I used PVE 6.0 and built VMs successfully with the following:

pvesh create /nodes/mach-02/qemu --vmid 100 --boot ncd --cpu host --cores 4 --memory 4096 --net0 e1000,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=0,macaddr=00:00:00:02:01:00 --net1 e1000,bridge=br-student-1 --ostype l26 --scsihw megasas --scsi0 local-lvm:100

I recently updated my automation to deploy PVE 6.2-11, and on a brand new system build, when I execute the same above command, I receive:

Configuration file 'nodes/mach-02/qemu-server/100.conf' does not exist

I see several references about this error related to the containers - but I am not creating containers. My assumption is something changed between 6.0 and 6.2 ... but I haven't been able to unearth what I need to do to correct my problem.

Any pointers or thoughts greatly appreciated!

~~shane

Ok - the issue turns out to be my new systems do not have a 2nd disk, and "local-lvm" storage was not created ... so creating the machines failed. The error messages woven in to the automation log output were not in order, since the creation of VMs was parallelized - causing confusion in the logging output ordering.

After creating a "local-lvm" storage target, the VM creations ran fine. Apologies if anyone wasted time reviewing this thread ... :(

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Thanks for sharing your findings and the fix you found!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!