Create Directory "No Disks unused" + Disks not mounted?

Aug 24, 2020
Dear Proxmox-Experts,

i tried to create a Directory in Proxmox. But the dialog tells me "No Disks unused":
1727339328496.png

When i look at the "Disks" on the Node, almos all partitions are not mounted:
1727339371798.png

Is that a normal behaviour?

I hope someone can help me. Unfortuantely, i´m not an expert in Proxmox.

Greetings!

Hi,

this is normal & expected. You have a single disk in your system, which is already used as the boot disk by Proxmox VE.
As for the partitions, expected as well - the first too are boot partitions and the third is the actual root partition of the system.

As to why it says that the root partition (so /dev/nvme0n1p3) is not mounted - that is simply due to how LVM storage works underneath.

If you want to actually add another storage (so e.g. a directory storage), you need a free (thus second) disk in the system.

As you seem to have choosen either ext4 or XFS during installation, you have a local and local-lvm storage defined for your guests.
I'd suggest reading a bit into the Storage chapter of our admin guide, hopefully that should clear things up a bit regarding storage in Proxmox VE. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gianfranco_Zola
Hi,

this is normal & expected. You have a single disk in your system, which is already used as the boot disk by Proxmox VE.
As for the partitions, expected as well - the first too are boot partitions and the third is the actual root partition of the system.

As to why it says that the root partition (so /dev/nvme0n1p3) is not mounted - that is simply due to how LVM storage works underneath.

If you want to actually add another storage (so e.g. a directory storage), you need a free (thus second) disk in the system.

As you seem to have choosen either ext4 or XFS during installation, you have a local and local-lvm storage defined for your guests.
I'd suggest reading a bit into the Storage chapter of our admin guide, hopefully that should clear things up a bit regarding storage in Proxmox VE. :)
Perfect - now i got it! Thank you very much for the quick reply.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!