Crash when trying to pass through an EGPU

simon1994

Dec 15, 2023
Hello Guys,

I am quite new to Proxmox, so far i have managed to:

- set up a Proxmox host on a Desktop Machine with a Ryzen 9 7950X and a 4090
- set up a Windows 11 VM which can use the 4090 via Passthrough
- set up a Ubuntu VM that can also use the 4090 via Passthrough (but not at the same time)

I also have a Razer EGPU enclosure with a RTX 3060 that can be connected via Thunderbolt.
My Mainboard ( Asus X670E Pro Art) supports Thunderbolt, and Proxmox lists the 3060 as an available PCIe device when I connect the enclosure.

I'd like to mount the 3060 to the Ubuntu VM, so I can use both VMs at the same time with each having a GPU available.

My problem is, Proxmox completely crashed and needed a Reboot of the machine when i started the Ubuntu VM with the 3060 mounted.

So I am asking, is eGPU passthrough supported by Proxmox? Do i have to install additional drivers, or even blacklist some?

So I am asking, is eGPU passthrough supported by Proxmox? Do i have to install additional drivers, or even blacklist some?
Passthrough is not fully guaranteed/supported but it often works. An eGPU is just a PCIe device, so it could work but Thunderbolt and hot-plug might complicate things.
My problem is, Proxmox completely crashed and needed a Reboot of the machine when i started the Ubuntu VM with the 3060 mounted.
Check your IOMMU groups. This is a sign that the GPU is in the same group as some devices essential for Proxmox. Search the forum about IOMMU groups and Thunderbolt, as I remember other people have experimented with this before.

Wow, thank you for the fast reply. I did not work over the weekend but I will definately look into it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!