CPU Speed glitch Windows VM

gdekeijzer

Jan 7, 2024
Hi Guys,

Just setup fresh host with PVE8.1
Installed a Windows 11 VM with all drivers installed.
Running nice. Some how i came upon the task manager showing a speed of 0,81Ghz instead of the 3,4Ghz that the undelaying host has.

Triend numerous CPU configs, even host, but all of them show the same strange speed.

Is this just a GUI glitch, or is my VM running actually at this speed?

A ubuntudesktop VM shows the correct CPU speed, therefore my question.

Thanx

Is this just a GUI glitch, or is my VM running actually at this speed?
It's just what the VM sees. VMs don't see the real speed (usually they see the base speed) but everything runs at the speed you see at the host with (grep -e 'cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo.
A ubuntudesktop VM shows the correct CPU speed, therefore my question.
That's unexpected. Is it actually a VM or is it a container?

Both VM's are actual VM's

root@pve3:~# grep -e "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo cpu MHz : 3021.586 cpu MHz : 2467.626 cpu MHz : 2464.401 cpu MHz : 2809.407

Oh, that's odd. Ubuntu desktop now shows the 800Mhz speed

1704641377076.png

Ok, i'm confused now. Are my VM's running at 800Mhz?

Both VM's are actual VM's
Oh, that's odd. Ubuntu desktop now shows the 800Mhz speed
Ok, i'm confused now. Are my VM's running at 800Mhz?
No, they are running at these speeds:
root@pve3:~# grep -e "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo cpu MHz : 3021.586 cpu MHz : 2467.626 cpu MHz : 2464.401 cpu MHz : 2809.407
EDIT: Don't take my word for it, please search the forum for older threads that discuss this issue.

Last edited:
Ok, i think this might be a host issue.
VM moved to other host, smaller CPU:
1704642073122.png

I'll search the forum for this issue.

Host with this thing is a Intel N100 CPU

Just came across same issue, same cpu. So everyhting is fine? The VM feels a bot slow but maybe it simply is what it is.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!