Correct way to do DHCP and Firewall configuration

ddscentral

Jun 17, 2024
Eastern Europe
Asking for some advices.

I already have setup DHCP for VMs using isc-dhcp-server on a separate VM-only bridge with NAT. DNS is handled by Bind.
I have recently found out that there's a way to do it in Proxmox itself. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Setup_Simple_Zone_With_SNAT_and_DHCP
Is there any advantage using this suggested setup vs my current one ?

Also, regarding firewall configuration, can I just use good old iptables-persistent for firewall configuration without breaking anything in Proxmox ?

I have an old (well, ancient) box with a couple lightweight VMs running on it (bare QEMU KVM VMs with hand-tuned command lines, started via systemd) hosting some publicly-accessible services and I wish to move those VMs into my newly built Proxmox host box. That box has it's own firewall/network setup for the VMs which would also need to be migrated and I would like to avoid having to manually migrate everything via the UI.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!