Correct way to create a "virtual switch"

jcyrus

Oct 26, 2021
Hello,

I'm wondering if someone can help me with an issue I'm having. I have a Proxmox server running a Ubuntu Server VM that is running GNS3. I want to setup a "virutal switch" that is private that I can connect other VMs (such as a Windows host) to that connection and then connect GNS3 to that interface as well. My goal is to keep these VMs separate from our production network as best I can.

If I connect the VM's and GNS3 to the main Linx bridge (eno3) they are able to ping each other, but if I create a new bridge using a second nic (eno4) and connect the VM and GNS3 to that bridge they are no longer able to ping each other. I assume I'm doing something wrong when creating this new bridge interface but I can't figure out what. Any help would be great.

Hey,

you can just create a new Linux Bridge and attach it to all the VMs you want to connect, the PVE host doesn't need an IP on it. Then just statically assign IP addresses to the VMs on the same network. It also doesn't need any physical ports, if you only want traffic between the VMs

Hannes,

Thank you for your reply. That is how I setup the second bridge, but I figured I must be doing something wrong because while I can ping between vms that are connected to that bridge if I try to ping a device in GNS3 it fails. However, if I connect GNS3 and the vms to the bridge (vmbr0) that was created during install the pings are successful.

I was trying to separate these vms from the production network, but it appears I may not be able to do that.

Thank you for your replies. Turns out I was setting up the bridge in Proxmox correctly but the bug was in GNS3. I setup a new VM with 2 nics and set 1 to vmbr0 and the other to vmbr1 . Then I installed Ubuntu server fresh and installed GNS3 server after that. Everything worked correctly after that. Thank you all again for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!