[SOLVED] convert vmware 7.0 to proxmox

cazz

Jul 18, 2021
Sweden
I'm a little curious to know how much work it is to replace vmware esxi 7.0 with proxmox.
Right now I have 12 servers that run both linux and windows and I do wonder if it is a good idea to make it run on Proxmox instead.
Right now I have a tiny server that work with proxmox but my big server that is a HP DL380 G9 with HW RAID 420i, I'm curious if I can easy covert or somehow run that on proxmox?

I have see some guide but not sure what is easy and best to use,

I'm a little curious to know how much work it is to replace vmware esxi 7.0 with proxmox.
Right now I have 12 servers that run both linux and windows and I do wonder if it is a good idea to make it run on Proxmox instead.
Right now I have a tiny server that work with proxmox but my big server that is a HP DL380 G9 with HW RAID 420i, I'm curious if I can easy covert or somehow run that on proxmox?

I have see some guide but not sure what is easy and best to use,
Hello,

The BIG step of converting prx to vmware and vmware to prx is the disk conversion format.
After, move theses converted disk to your prx server, and attach disk files to news VMs.

You found any documentation with google

Reactions: cazz
official method:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#VMware

i used sshfs as it was faster then directly accessing the datastore via http (ssh needs to be enabled on esxi + sshfs installed on proxmox):

Code:
proxmox-node# mkdir /mnt/tmp
proxmox-node# sshfs root@192.168.101.182:/vmfs/volumes /mnt/tmp
proxmox-node# cd /mnt/tmp/Datastore1/vmname/
proxmox-node# eatmydata ovftool --parallelThreads=4 vmname.vmx /tmp/vmname

and then sth. like this: import /tmp/vmname

Code:
qm importovf 104 /tmp/vmname/vmname.ovf storagename

windows vms mostly don't boot without changes, you can fix that with chntpw and "mergeide" with a linux-live cd: https://blog.mcbachmann.de/linux/windows-bluescreen-0x0000007b-inaccessible_boot_device

(or prepare the vm before exporting)

so, straight forward, but takes some time and could be easier.

Reactions: cazz and Pifouney
Thanks for the replay
I run now ovftool from another server to store until I have export every VM I want to have and then delete vmware esxi and then install proxmox.
I does take time but I have no hurry :)

You can use Ceph as a distributed file system for your 12 servers. This way you can create a great Proxmox/Ceph cluster with high availability and great fault tolerancy.

Reactions: cazz
ohh I have now look at it and it look very advance for my home server :)
But I'm curious and going to look at it some more.
But one thing is for sure, when I build up my new server with proxmox then I going to make it as good as possible

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!