Convert VM Vmware To Proxmox

Mohamed HAJJEM

Jul 2, 2024
Dear Customer
As part of a study to choose a new virtualization solution to replace VMware Vsan 6.7, I set up Proxmox version 8, the cluster contains 3 nodes, I created a shared pool between the nodes named TLS-pool which will store the disks of VMS mounted.
I've created VMs under Linux and Windows that are online.
The problem I encountered was when trying to convert Vms already converted from VMware to Proxmox, after converting the machine and moving the disk to the TLS-pool, the Vm didn't detect the disk, I tested with a windows VM and another under linux.

Attachments

• PB07.PNG
    PB07.PNG
    104.6 KB · Views: 10
  • PB06.PNG
    PB06.PNG
    88.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PB05.PNG
    PB05.PNG
    77.4 KB · Views: 12
  • PB04.PNG
    PB04.PNG
    49.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PB03.PNG
    PB03.PNG
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PB02.PNG
    PB02.PNG
    37.5 KB · Views: 10
hello Gabriel,

I changed the to BIOS UEFI , but the problem still occurs , here with some captures

Cordially

Attachments

• PB09.PNG
    PB09.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PB10.PNG
    PB10.PNG
    37.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi Gabriel,

I mounted a live ISO ubuntu in the imported VM , after booting , the VM booted on the ISO

Cordially

Attachments

• PB14.PNG
    PB14.PNG
    115.9 KB · Views: 3
  • pb13.PNG
    pb13.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 3
hi Gabriel,

The conversion of Vms (Windows and linux) was successfully performed directly by connecting the esxi to the proxmox server and then importing the vm to server
however , using the first methos : export ovf , convert vmdk to *.qcow2, i still have the boot problem

Cordially;

Attachments

• esxi to Proxmox2.PNG
    esxi to Proxmox2.PNG
    426.1 KB · Views: 5
  • esxi to Proxmox1.PNG
    esxi to Proxmox1.PNG
    47.3 KB · Views: 5
  • esxi to Proxmox.PNG
    esxi to Proxmox.PNG
    62.2 KB · Views: 5

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!