Convert cluster to single node

Toxik

Jul 11, 2019
Germany
Hi,

I want to convert a three node cluster to a single node. Can I just move all VMs to node1, power off node2 and node3 and remove them from the cluster as described here?
Do I also have to turn off cluster services on node1?

Thanks

It might be better to follow the 5.5.1 instructions in this case (the "without re-installing" option), that way it properly goes to a stand-alone config, ready to re-add to a new cluster (which you of course won't do).
Also make sure you have (working) backups and/or leave a clone of the/all VM's on node 2/3 so you have those still, till it is time to remove/re-install them.

Reactions: Wibla
Actually my plan is to replace my three small node cluster with one big node. Cluster is running on three Fujitsu Futros at the moment and should be replaced by Fujitsu Primergy server.

So my idea to do it is:
* move all VMs to smallnode1
* remove smallnode2 and smallnode3 from cluster
* keep everything running on smallnode1 until bignode1 is ready
* rip out the SSDs from smallnode2 and smallnode3, because I need them for bignode1
* install bignode1
* shutdown VMs on smallnode1, do a backup and restore it on bignode1
* after everything is running on bignode1, shutdown smallnode1

Sounds like a good plan.
One thing to note, one other method you could at least look at, would be the "qm remote-migrate" command [1] to migrate VM's between 2 (not clustered) servers. You can of course already test that out between 1 and 2 (once they are both seperate) to see if it works for your purpose once you migrate to bignode1. It even gives you the "live migrate" function which (should) migrate de VM while it is running, or with just a quick reboot.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/qm.1.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Toxik

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!