Console not working

Ninto

Jul 14, 2012
Hi,

When trying to open the Console on any Vm, it returns an error:

no connection : Connection timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

A telnet to port 5900 just gives me a connect failed message.

How would I go about checking the VNC daemon with proxmox? This is a brand new install, running the console on Firefox 13 with the latest Java.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Boyd

do you use ubuntu ? if yes, you need to use sun-jdk and not openjdk

I'm viewing the site using a Windows 7 client PC with the latest Sun Java 7 installed. I've tried using Firefox 13, Chrome and IE 8.

I find it odd that there's nothing listening at port 5900 on the Proxmox server. Is it necessary to go through the steps listed at http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Vnc_2.0 in order to get VNC working, by default?

It just started working, with no changes made. All that was done was a server reboot. Clients are using Java 7 Update 5 without any apparent issues.

Confused? Yes I am.

It just started working, with no changes made. All that was done was a server reboot. Clients are using Java 7 Update 5 without any apparent issues.

Confused? Yes I am.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I have noticed what may be a bug (or possibly a misconfiguration on my end). If I have created a PAM authenticated user and give them the PVEVMUser role the user can access the console no problem. If I create an Active Directory authenticated user and give them PVEVMUser role the user can not access the console and I receive the same message as you do.

For a VM that is local
"TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 107 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 2"

For a VM on a cluster node
"TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/bin/ssh -T -o BatchMode=yes -c blowfish-cbc 172.30.0.5 /usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 103 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 2"

An Active Directory authenticated user that has the Administrator role does not have this problem

Some further information on this. It appears that if you have the user as part of a Group that has PVEVMUser permissions the console does not work. However if you specify the permissions directly to the user then console does work. Is it me or is this a bug?

Some further information on this. It appears that if you have the user as part of a Group that has PVEVMUser permissions the console does not work. However if you specify the permissions directly to the user then console does work. Is it me or is this a bug?

Please can you post examples (/etc/pve/usres.cfg), so that I can reproduce it here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!