[SOLVED] Connection timeout on browser gui

ClockworkNetwork

Jul 13, 2024
My settings are:
IP: 192.168.50.2/24
Default Gateway: 192.168.50.1
DNS: whatever the default is, I believe its 127.0.0.1
The browser is saying the server set at 192.168.50.2 is taking too long to respond
I tried pinging the 192.168.50.2 and it replies with: 192.168. 50.10 destination host unreachable but pinging
192.168.50.10 responds fine

Last edited:
Since another IP in the same range replied that it was unreachable, that is the IP of your own PC, so it would be strange if that IP were to not respond fine :)

Are you able to hook up a monitor and keyboard to the system that proxmox is running on? And if so, do you see a login-prompt and can you log in?
If you can, try pinging 8.8.8.8 and see if that works.

Also, was that 2-24 a typo in the forum post? Usually subnets are typed out as .2/24, and IP-ranges (which you shouldn't / can't use) with .2-24

Reactions: ClockworkNetwork
Since another IP in the same range replied that it was unreachable, that is the IP of your own PC, so it would be strange if that IP were to not respond fine :)

Are you able to hook up a monitor and keyboard to the system that proxmox is running on? And if so, do you see a login-prompt and can you log in?
If you can, try pinging 8.8.8.8 and see if that works.

Also, was that 2-24 a typo in the forum post? Usually subnets are typed out as .2/24, and IP-ranges (which you shouldn't / can't use) with .2-24
Ah I see

I tried pinging 8.8.8.8 on the proxmox system and it gave me: 192.168.50.2 destination host unreachable

and yes it's a typo because I have no idea what i'm doing. Im new to networking, servers, and proxmox.

No worries, everyone needs to start somewhere :)

Ok, so proxmox at least is on the IP-address where you expect it to be, so I'm suspecting an issue with either the subnet (the /24) or the routes (how the system knows where to go).

Could you type in the following 3 commands and make a photo of them, maybe we can see what's wrong from there and how to fix it.
Code:
ip a
cat /etc/network/interfaces
ip route list

Also, is this a freshly installed system, or was it working before and now it no longer is?

Last edited:
Ok, could you type the following commands:
Code:
/usr/sbin/ifdown eno3
/usr/sbin/ifup eno3
ip a

It looks like your Server isn't seeing/getting a network connection, so now to figure out why that is.

Could you also double check, you should have a total of 4 network-ports on this server, divided over 2 different sets/cards of 2, is that correct/do you see that?
And can you confirm that there is a small LED next to the port you have your network-cable in, and if it is on? If there is no LED there, check the other side (switch/router that you have it hooked up to) if there is an LED there.
If there is a LED on either of the sides, and the light is off, check that the cable is properly connected on both sides.

Last edited:
Ok, could you type the following commands:
Code:
/usr/sbin/ifdown eno3
/usr/sbin/ifup eno3
ip a

It looks like your Server isn't seeing/getting a network connection, so now to figure out why that is.

Could you also double check, you should have a total of 4 network-ports on this server, divided over 2 different sets/cards of 2, is that correct/do you see that?
And can you confirm that there is a small LED next to the port you have your network-cable in, and if it is on? If there is no LED there, check the other side (switch/router that you have it hooked up to) if there is an LED there.
If there is a LED on either of the sides, and the light is off, check that the cable is properly connected on both sides.
I ran the code I'll attach the picture separately
That's correct I have 4 network ports
and yes there are green/orange lights on the server and switch so data seems to be transferring.

Ok, seems like Proxmox still doesn't see a cable attached (even though the light is on), so let's try switching the cable to one of the ports on the other set of 2 network ports.
Then do "ip a" again and check for eno1 and eno2 (number 4 and 5) if for either the state changed to up
If not, try doing both /usr/sbin/ifup eno1 and /usr/sbin/ifup eno2 and try again afterwards.

The lights being on usually is a good indicator that things are working, but not a 100% guarantee (see [1] and I also know from personal experience)
[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-do-i-get-the-interfaces-up.141912/#post-637058

Last edited:
Ok, seems like Proxmox still doesn't see a cable attached (even though the light is on), so let's try switching the cable to one of the ports on the other set of 2 network ports.
Then do "ip a" again and check for eno1 and eno2 (number 4 and 5) if for either the state changed to up
If not, try doing both /usr/sbin/ifup eno1 and /usr/sbin/ifup eno2 and try again afterwards.

The lights being on usually is a good indicator that things are working, but not a 100% guarantee (see [1] and I also know from personal experience)
[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-do-i-get-the-interfaces-up.141912/#post-637058
Ok I tried all the NIC ports and only 1 switched vmbr0 and eno3 to UP. After running the two commands and retrying the ports all but one is working. I was also able to login on browser side so thank you for your help. If you wouldn't mind explaining what you did I'd appreciate it because I'm still a bit confused.

Update: only the eno3 port is working. The other ports say UP when connected but I can't reach the server browser side. I buoght this setup as a Poweredge. Could my settings in there be messing with the NIC's?

Good to hear that things are somewhat working now.

The reason you can't reach the server while connected to the other ports, is because you haven't told the server to listen for a specific IP on that port.
I've got to get some sleep soon, so let's focus first on checking that all the ports are working properly and keep working after a reboot:

• Log in on the server and on the left click on your server (labeled alexandria) and then go to System -> Network.
  • For eno1 through eno4, double-click them and select the autostart box so it is on.
  • At the top, click Create, Linux Bond and on the right select mode: Active Backup (make sure to keep the name as bond0
  • For the slaves type in eno1 eno2 eno4 (not 3 yet, seperated with spaces) and for bond-primairy put eno1 in there.
  • Now click the Apply Configuration button to set up these settings.
  • Once that is done, double-click vmbr0 and for bridge ports use bond0 (replacing the eno3 already there)
  • Go back to the bond0 you made before, and add eno3 to the list too so all 4 ports are there, and switch primary to eno3
  • Now instead of apply, click the reboot option a bit above it to reboot the server and make sure it starts fresh.

Once rebooted, start pinging the server, then swap the cable between the different ports, waiting 30 seconds, or till you got a response.
If they now all work, you know hardware is set up correctly and is working.
You'll probably want to undo the above steps in reverse order though (but leave the auto-start on), so you can use the ports for different things, or switch to one of the other bond-mods, but then your switch or router needs to support that too and you need more cables attached.

Last edited:
Good to hear that things are somewhat working now.

The reason you can't reach the server while connected to the other ports, is because you haven't told the server to listen for a specific IP on that port.
I've got to get some sleep soon, so let's focus first on checking that all the ports are working properly and keep working after a reboot:

• Log in on the server and on the left click on your server (labeled alexandria) and then go to System -> Network.
  • For eno1 through eno4, double-click them and select the autostart box so it is on.
  • At the top, click Create, Linux Bond and on the right select mode: Active Backup (make sure to keep the name as bond0
  • For the slaves type in eno1 eno2 eno4 (not 3 yet, seperated with spaces) and for bond-primairy put eno1 in there.
  • Now click the Apply Configuration button to set up these settings.
  • Once that is done, double-click vmbr0 and for bridge ports use bond0 (replacing the eno3 already there)
  • Go back to the bond0 you made before, and add eno3 to the list too so all 4 ports are there, and switch primary to eno3
  • Now instead of apply, click the reboot option a bit above it to reboot the server and make sure it starts fresh.

Once rebooted, start pinging the server, then swap the cable between the different ports, waiting 30 seconds, or till you got a response.
If they now all work, you know hardware is set up correctly and is working.
You'll probably want to undo the above steps in reverse order though (but leave the auto-start on), so you can use the ports for different things, or switch to one of the other bond-mods, but then your switch or router needs to support that too and you need more cables attached.
Everything is working properly, all ports are giving a response now. Thank you for all the help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!