Connect to PfSENSE's OpenVPN

sheshman

Jan 16, 2023
Hi,

I want to create cluster for replication between two offices (each office has own proxmox ve as single node), both pves are behind NAT, as far as i understand from documentations to accomplish this i need to open port 22 (with other ports) to internet access which i don't want to due to security concerns.

I thought if i can connect both of the pves to HQ office's pfsense through openvpn i can make both pve talk to eachother then i can create cluster as they are in the same network.

I did research and found this https://benheater.com/proxmox-lab-remote-access/ but as far as i understand it creates a wireguard container on point A and point B connecting to it.

I already have running vpn system on PfSENSE, is it possible to connect PfSENSE's openvpn through proxmox pve itself and join the network ?

I personally would be very careful when building such interconnected dependencies. If you only have 2 nodes, that get their quorum via the VPN connection, they won't be able to start a VM if they lost the quorum. But without starting the VM that provides the VPN, (which they can't), they won't have a chance to get a quorum ;)

Either set up VPNs directly at the host level or even better: avoid it altogether as it will result in a fragile setup.

Reactions: sheshman
I personally would be very careful when building such interconnected dependencies. If you only have 2 nodes, that get their quorum via the VPN connection, they won't be able to start a VM if they lost the quorum. But without starting the VM that provides the VPN, (which they can't), they won't have a chance to get a quorum ;)

Either set up VPNs directly at the host level or even better: avoid it altogether as it will result in a fragile setup.
Thanks for your answer, then i need to find another solution :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!