Confusing DNS & Remote Desktop Interactions

aeeeko

Jul 25, 2024
With the Datacenter level firewall ON and the VM level firewall OFF:
  • I can remote into my VM from a physical computer by its IP address: 192.168.xxx.101
  • I can remote into my VM from a physical computer by its name: VMWindows11
With the Datacenter level firewall ON and the VM level firewall ON:
  • I can only remote into my VM by its IP address; Remote Desktop by name not working
Attached is a screenshot of all the rules I have added to try to allow Remote Desktop to be able to work on this VM with the firewall ON.
(built by Googling what all ports can possibly handle name resolution)

Any help is really appreciated, I don't know what else more I can do :(

Attachments

• rules.png
    rules.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 4
1721935841754.png

This is what ended up fixing it. Was 5355 a mistype or would that have worked too?

The way I solved this was allowing all outs (working), then all outs with tcp protocol (didn't work), then all udp (works again), then udp from ports 1:65000 (still working), then 1:10000 (still working) then I just kept decreasing the port range until I saw it was between 5000 and 6000 and eventually honed in on 5353 as the port that was working. I then googled this port and saw it was for mDNS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!