Configuration Issue

RiderofDragons68

Sep 11, 2022
Right now, I am running a Unifi network. In my Proxmox server, there is a Dell 10GB dual port NIC, 4 onboard adapters, and 1 Dell 1 GB adapter I put in for management.
Here is the current configuration:
Hardware configuration:
  1. 10GB - 802.3 bond ----- connects to --------- > Unifi agg switch on ports 5&6 (set in agg model on the default vlan)
  2. 1GB Dell NIC ---- connects to ----------> 24 Port Edgeswitch (vlan1)
  3. 4 Onboard NICS ----- connects to ------------> 24 Port Edgeswitch (vlan 101, 102, 103, 104)
Software configuration:
  1. Name Servers:
    1. 1.1.1.1
    2. 1.0.0.1
    3. 8.8.8.8
  2. see image 1 for network overview

I can connect to the proxmox server through the management nic but can't update the server at all. I don't know if it is the BOND causing a issue or it is something else. What should I do or try to change to get it working again.

I am trying to get me company (a education company) to invest in 4 servers and proxmox so we can support more students.
Rider68

Attachments

• newtwork.png
    newtwork.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 2
One thing I notice right away is that vmbr2 and vmbr8, are on the same IP and in the same range, which also has the default gateway AND the vmbr8 is not connected to anything.
I'm suspecting there might be a routing issue here where it tries to "go out" through the wrong, not-connected, interface and/or it being caused because of an IP-address conflict.

Try changing the IP of the vmbr8 (preferably even to a difference range entirely) and see if that works.
If not, post the results of the following:
Code:
ip a
ping 10.10.72.1 -c 4
ping 8.8.8.8 -c 4
traceroute 8.8.8.8 -n
(For the traceroute, only show the first IP in full and the first number for all other hops)

EDIT: Sidenote: For the "invest in 4 server" part, just to check: Do you mean 4 more servers, or 4 servers in total? Because if you are going to cluster them, do note that you need to have an odd number of servers, or you'll need an (off-server) vote-deamon running:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_corosync_external_vote_support

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!