Computer Webcam for ProxmoxVM

hermandy

Dec 4, 2014
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to allow a VM to access my computer's webcam?

Thanks

The most build in are USB but it depends on the manufacturer. This wiki works only with USB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you again. Just to clarify, I'm trying to have a VM that is being acessed via X2Go client inferface with the client's (the one that is viewing the VM) usb device. Does this method still work in this situation, or is it only for the server's usb devices?
Thank you

This will not work Afik. But why you would map USB from vm to server? Or do i understand some think wrong?

Sorry about that. It's probably that I'm not being clear about what I'm trying to do. What I'm trying to do is a setup a VM (which I already have running) so that a group of mine can work on a computer vision project on one machine. I want to allow each user who accesses the VM, via X2Go, to be able to execute programs on the VM that require their computer's webcam, or USB webcam. Thus the VM has to be able to have access to the client machine's webcam. However, after looking at the instructions for Proxmox VM USB physical port fowarding, it seemed this was only possible if the USB device was connected to the Proxmox server and not to a client viewing the VM over X2Go.

Thank you again. I really appreciate your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!