Clustering Questions... Also need help editing "Cluster.conf" file=Permission Denied

T

TwentyFourBit

Hey guys,

I've post around here once before.

Before I ask my questions, I know this is probably asked a lot. I did search around the web and on these forums.

Problem 1.)
I am trying to to cluster these two servers together, each server has: 2xQuad-core Xeon, 16GB DDR2, 146GB SAS 15k drives, dual-LAN, the whole nine yards. Currently this is for home because I play around with tons of operating systems for development. So, at home, we have no switches. Just your typical setup. Router (Apple Airport Extreme ones :( ), modem, etc. I got the "waiting for quorum" message; it didn't time out, it would just never stop "waiting for quorum". So I did some searching and found out my switch/router needs to be in IP Multicast.
I don't know if my Apple Airport Extreme's will support this or not. So I saw a way to do it with unicast? Is this an option? Do I NEED a switch or can I get away with it with these routers? I have other brands of routers if need be.

My second question is only valid if I need to unicast.
How come everytime I try and edit the "cluster.conf" file with either "nano" or "vi" I get "Permission Denied" when I try and write the changes? Am I missing something. The only user I have is root currently as these are fresh installs, so I have been doing this logged in as root. Also noticed I can't use "su" or "sudo" (yes, I did try it :p ).

Any ideas? Am I in over my head until I get an actual switch to bring home from the office?
Would I be better off just rolling two separate machines?

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.
-TFB

Re: Clustering Questions... Also need help editing "Cluster.conf" file=Permission Den

The filesystem is 'read-only' when you do not have quorum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!