Cluster proxmox on small server

kennysamuerto

Apr 18, 2024
Hello,

We have in our company several proxmox servers, each proxmox server contains one VM, or a maximum of 3-4. Usually one.

I would like to centralize this infrastructure and control it from a single site.

I understand that in order to add proxmox servers to another one that acts as centralization for the rest, by means of clusters, it is necessary that this server is empty. So my question is simple.

Is it advisable to hire a small server to act as a centralized server, and add through cluster the rest of proxmox servers? We have our infrastructure in OVH, would it be advisable to hire a small Kimsufi type server for this purpose?

In terms of proxmox production, adding them to this infrastructure, can it be a problem? What things should I take into account?

Thanks

O.K. You have serveral proxmox server you want to manage from one point. In proxmox, if they are clustered you can manage all nodes(server) from every servers web interface as if it were the native web interface of the specific server.
The problem ist that a node has to be empty when it's starts to join a cluster, as your servers are allready running this might be a problem.
The good thing is, that as far as I know, the node that is starting the cluster is allowed to keep it's vms.

I would go into the node with the most VMs and start the cluster.
Then for every node, go into the web interface, backup the vm, delete it and joint the cluster and start the vm on the node from the backup again.

At the Ende you should have all your nodes clustered together.
> On a side note, if you do not already have an uneven amount of servers you would cluster, the small server would still be advisable.

it is necessary that this server is empty

Your info appears incorrect. As per the docs:
All existing configuration in /etc/pve is overwritten when joining a cluster. In particular, a joining node cannot hold any guests, since guest IDs could otherwise conflict, and the node will inherit the cluster’s storage configuration.
So any node that is going to be joined to a cluster must not hold any guests.

Secondly - you do not need another "centralization server". PVE when clustered, gives you the ability to access any of the nodes from every single node's GUI.

Keep in mind that you can also migrate VMs from one PVE (cluster) to another PVE (disjunct cluster) via CLI an qm remote-migrate in order to move the VM around before joining the cluster. You may need to check if the VMIDs are the same or not.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!