Cluster Balancing Load

itNGO

Renowned Member
Jun 12, 2020
Germany
it-ngo.com
Hi,

coming from HyperV and SCVMM.... is there some logic inside Proxmox which allows for "balancing" VMs on Host-CPU or Disk I/O Workload?
Is something like this planned?

Reason: If whole cluster is online it would be nice if Guests are balanced so that CPU-Load is distributed for optimal performance of all guest.

Regards

:)

the proxmox devs have a very specific idea of their priorities. This isnt one of them.
What might make it difficult to use Proxmox in large scale datacenter where load needs to distributed automatic on fair use logic.... but that's another topic.....

Yea, VMware calls this DRS, Proxmox doesn't have this feature, right now it is a manual process by watching your performance stats for the node and each VM and manually making adjustments and moving VM's around the cluster when you find a hot spot.

There is a reason VMware is so expensive, DRS is one of those features enterprises pay dearly for.

Citrix also has this functionality with their Work Load Balancer VM that runs on the cluster and moves VM's around automatically too.

RedHat has this for RHEV/OVirt too, as well as MSFT with Hyper-V.

Reactions: ermurenz and itNGO
What might make it difficult to use Proxmox in large scale datacenter where load needs to distributed automatic on fair use logic.... but that's another topic.....
I'm really conflicted about this.

DRS can really help, but just "set and forget" doesnt really work for all workloads, especially if you have large VMs. Getting actual utility from DRS requires some work and tuning.

If you understand what tuning is in this context, you can accomplish much the same using metrics collection and the proxmox API. Its not especially difficult. So the question is- what is your tolerance to understanding what your cluster is doing, and how much are you willing to pay/cede control to a third party to do it for you.

When I noted that the devs dont consider such automation is a priority, I didnt mean that I disagree with them.

Reactions: itNGO
Sure, but this only helps for same workload... but not to balance different Server across Cluster based on there specific workload....
It is possible to program checks that analyze the Proxmox nodes load and live migrate VMs, but I agree that it would be better if this feature were available in the virtual environment like other virtualization solutions do.

It is possible to program checks that analyze the Proxmox nodes load and live migrate VMs, but I agree that it would be better if this feature were available in the virtual environment like other virtualization solutions do.
Indeed, it is - and also now there is with ProxLB!

I had the same issues and wrote an opensource to have this in place:

https://github.com/gyptazy/ProxLB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!