Cluster and QDevice

jose-pr

May 4, 2024
I am in the process of testing proxmox to replace some vmware esxi clusters. Everything looks good only thing missing is a vcenter like interface to centrally manage multiple clusters but i can live without it.

Do love that it is linux based and the configuration/build options it provides, was able to modify the iso to make it an automated pxe install and to add encryption during the installation (luks and zfs enc).

Last thing i am looking into is forming a cluster between two servers, the only other device to serve as a member is the router/switch which is a cisco one that can run containers, so would deploy the lowest resource/sized container that can support qdevice software on it. But one thing I dont like is that it the qdevice needs root access to the cluster members. I do trust my clusters members as they would be double encrypted but not the qdevice container I would deploy, to hold ssh root keys to my servers. Does the qdevice need root access to the nodes in the cluster if all its doing is acting as an arbiter, no need for vm/device access, only there to vote and provide input in who is online.

Last edited:
From my mind: after installation a simple network connection is used to handle voting. For installation you need root access because you are manipulating fundamental cluster internals - it would be bad if this would be possible without root access...

Reactions: jose-pr
That looks better I should be able then to temporarily add the container root key to the authorized keys of the nodes for the install and then remove it. So container nevers need to know password.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!