Cluser set up

tkeugene

Jul 25, 2024
Hello Guys...
quite new to proxmox, but with online help,I'm trying o do this setup;

I have a mail server that runs on Control Web Panel (CWP) thus used postfix as MTA.

I'm trying to have emails from this server sent through a three-node proxmox cluster. The mail server to send emails to the cluster then any of the three nodes will send out to the final receiver. I do not want to overwhelm one node, thus I'm trying to have the load balanced.

I have installed HAProxy on the same mail server, bound it to port 1025 and edited the /etc/haproxy/haproxy.cfg to have these details

frontend smtp-in
bind *:1025
mode tcp
option tcplog
default_backend smtp-backend

backend smtp-backend
mode tcp
balance roundrobin
server proxmox-node1 <proxmox-node1-ip>:26 check
server proxmox-node2 <proxmox-node2-ip>:26 check
server proxmox-node3 <proxmox-node3-ip>:26 check

I also added a relayhost directive on postfix config file so that emails can be relayed through haproxy, running locally on port 1026

Now, when I send an email, I run into this error in the attached file
Kindly help me know what I'm getting wrong

Attachments

• errorlog.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 2
Just out of curiosity, have you bench-marked your setup to see if really the servers are the bottleneck, and how many emails are you planning to send, and how many outgoing connections do you have?

Just out of curiosity, have you bench-marked your setup to see if really the servers are the bottleneck, and how many emails are you planning to send, and how many outgoing connections do you have?
Hello bkinigadner,

I need to send out quite a number, for various reasons. Tickets, invoices, reminders and other important notices.
My mails server IP gets rate limited when all these come from one IP, but they are genuine emails that need be sent.

Also, kindly what are you suggesting that I check?

Are sending them all on the local network or do you have multible public facing ip addresses
I have public Ips. I have a mail server, then a cluster of three VPSes with proxmox installed on them.
So, what I'm trying is to have emails from the mail server sent through the three proxmox servers.

Receiving does not necessarily need to come through the cluster. MX records are pointed to the mail server's IP Just SPF has the proxmox nodes' IPS for sending reasons

It should be possible to configure a single server in a way that it is capable of sending emails using different ip addresses. I would guess that you assign the ip addresses to different Nics and then just try to rotate these nics.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!