Cloud-Init: Set-Hostname Question

0xBEN

May 6, 2020
Greetings,

I'll keep it short and to the point. I made an observation when doing some experimenting with cloud-init.
I first started experimenting with cloud-init on CentOS 8.

Here's the issue I encountered and on which I seek any advice or experiences from other users:

On any RHEL-based distro, /etc/hostname does not reflect the Proxmox VM name.
  • Tested on:
    • CentOS 8
    • Fedora Workstation and Server
However, on any Debian-based distro, /etc/hostname does reflect the Proxmox VM name.
  • Tested on:
    • Debian Buster
    • Kali
    • Ubuntu Desktop
I'll spare the extraneous information, but I followed the exact same process for both situations.
So, the only conclusion I could come to is that it is based on a limitation of the underlying distribution.
Does anyone else on the forum share a similar experience or know of a workaround?

Have you checked the cloudinit config inside the VM?

mira,

Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I did try making several adjustments to the /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg file in the template VM.
If I added hostname: <name> or fqdn: <name> to the configuration file, it would be applied to the clone.
However, this seems to defeat the automated nature of cloud-init.
I want to avoid hardcoding any values into the config to any extent possible.

mira,

Thank you for taking the time to work through that and reproduce the issue.

I also came across that thread during my search for answers, but decided to post on Proxmox forum, as that is the cloud-init platform being used in my case.

Seems like there are no feasible next steps, then. Oh well, I do certainly appreciate your time.

I'm using the GenericCloud 8.2 image from:

https://cloud.centos.org/centos/8/x86_64/images/

and it seems to be working as I expected.

In particular, I was able to change the hostname in the Proxmox options, and, after a reboot, it was configured inside the virtual machine.
The same for configuring a static IP address in the cloud-init tab of Proxmox.

Best regards,

Reactions: 0xBEN
I'm using the GenericCloud 8.2 image from:

https://cloud.centos.org/centos/8/x86_64/images/

and it seems to be working as I expected.

In particular, I was able to change the hostname in the Proxmox options, and, after a reboot, it was configured inside the virtual machine.
The same for configuring a static IP address in the cloud-init tab of Proxmox.

Best regards,

Thank you for following up here with your findings! I'll give it a whirl and see if I can reproduce on my end.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!