cloud-init configuration not working, machine won't boot

Jan 1, 2023
Portland, OR
1721874053648.png

So I've attempted configuring a new VM with a cloud-init drive, and just using the basic options in the UI for the cloud-init config (user, pass, DNS, SSH key, upgrade packages, IP info).

I'm using an Ubuntu 24.04 cloud image. I've tried changing the boot order. Nothing works. I'm officially stumped.

pve2:~# pveversion
pve-manager/8.2.2/9355359cd7afbae4 (running kernel: 6.8.8-2-pve)

I'm using an Ubuntu 24.04 cloud image. I've tried changing the boot order. Nothing works. I'm officially stumped.
The question is - how did you create the bootable disk, if at all? Whether cloudinit is used or not, the image should just boot. Cloudinit provides post-boot customization.

Perhaps you can elaborate on :
the exact image you used
your VM configuration (qm config [id])
how did you convert the Cloud image to a PVE disk
your storage pool configuration (cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg)

A random guess is that you did not set the bootable disk properly in your configuration. Or you did not attach the disk to a controller. Or you did not import the image properly.

Best

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!