cloud-init and cicustom

mwdeez

Oct 13, 2019
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone more experience than myself at cloud-init and proxmox can help me out, here. I've got 3 hosts running PVE 6.0 in a cluster with shared NFS storage mounted as "nfs-pve" which supports all storage type (image, iso, snippet, backup, etc).

I'm working on automating my infrastructure with Salt and I'm at a stage where I'd like to simplify the new VM builds. I've created a base install of Debian 9 and installed cloud-init. I tested cloud-init by adding a cloud-init drive through the PVE GUI and the settings were modified as I expected. I then exported those YAML files (qm cloudinit dump {network, meta, user}) and moved them to the 'snippets' folder on nfs-pve.

From there I added the "cicustom" to the config with qm set 9000 --cicustom "user=nfs-pve:snippets/test_u.yaml,network=nfs-pve:snippets/test_n.yaml,meta=nfs-pve:snippets/test_m.yaml". After that I removed the cloud-init drive added through the GUI and started the VM. This caused it to hang at boot and for cloud-init to fail to find any config.

It looks like those snippets are not even being loaded and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot. Is there a way to verify that they were loaded and parsed in some logs somewhere? Or is there something else I've missed as, again, this is my first time working with cloud-init.

After that I removed the cloud-init drive
you should not remove the cloud-init drive, otherwise we have not place to put the generated iso ...
just leave the cloud init drive in

you should not remove the cloud-init drive, otherwise we have not place to put the generated iso ...
just leave the cloud init drive in

Thanks for the reply! I've added the cloud-init drive back to the VM and now it starts, but ignores the custom YAML files, again. Here's my 112.conf file for the VM if this helps:
agent: 1
bootdisk: virtio0
cicustom: user=nfs-pve:snippets/test_u.yaml,network=nfs-pve:snippets/test_n.yaml,meta=nfs-pve:snippets/test_m.yaml
cores: 2
cpu: host
ide2: nfs-pve:112/vm-112-cloudinit.qcow2,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
name: restytest
net0: virtio=6E:FD:CF:51:C3:C2,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,tag=101
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=c15350b8-dc2f-40a6-8003-fdc341ff0dcb
sockets: 1
virtio0: ssd:112/vm-112-disk-0.qcow2,size=16G
vmgenid: 280ff8cc-76b3-43b4-af3c-4156af17f257

Does anything in the above look wrong? I've verified multiple times that those files exist in the folder as described in the "cicustom" config. I have an IP and hostname set to test cloud-init and neither are getting used when the VM boots. I've also tried regenerating the cloud-init image after adding the cicustom line to no success.

Thanks for the help so far!

I don't know what happened but I created another VM following the wiki, turned it into a template, cloned and everything worked as expected. Thanks for the help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!