Cloning fails on running Windows VM's

Jul 11, 2024
Hi there,

Just starting the process of migrating from VMWare to Proxmox. Have a production VE setup and ran into my first hiccup. Doesn't seem like I can clone Windows VM's that are running. Getting an error:

TASK ERROR: clone failed: block job (mirror) error: drive-efidisk0: 'mirror' has been cancelled

Linux machines clone just fine.

Any thoughts?

Where did it say that you can clone running machines?
If you are talking about the live migration option, the tooltip for it should read that it does not mean that the server can remain on, it just means that, once the migration starts, the machine will be booted again right away, loading any files it is being requested first (so think of it just as a big windows update, you shut the system down (reboot) and when it is starting up again, it takes a while to get everything set up before you can use the system again).

On multi-disk systems this doesn't work, and for single-disk systems it will be slow-to-start, but afterwards speed up some. I personally still prefer to just wait for the migration to be done and then start (so I can change a couple of settings before-boot as well)

Or am I mis-understanding you and you're not trying to clone a (Windows) VM that is turned on while on ESX?
If I did, please correct me / explain more, I've just finished up migrating a multi-host large (mostly-windows) cluster to proxmox, and other then needing a few tips and tricks here and there, didn't run into any (mayor) issues.

EDIT: Also, a good source of information about the import tool can be found here. Some of the issues mentioned are outdated and fixed already, but it is still a good source of information (as well as some recommended settings-changes on ESX you should do if you haven't already):

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/new-import-wizard-available-for-migrating-vmware-esxi-based-virtual-machines.144023/

EDIT 2: Ah, I think mis-understood the post, thought that this was during the esx-to-proxmox migration state still, so ignore my comment

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!