Cloning a complete proxmox installation.

AndyL

Jul 28, 2011
A little background. After looking at VMWare, Hyper-V and Xen, I have decided that Proxmox is the one that I intend to use.
The intended purpose is quite simple. It will consolidate three PC's (two Windows 7 and one XP) into one server. The configurations of the PC's are very constant. The way we work now is to use Acronis images of the PC's and restore them to the new PC's. The hardware is always the same, so all we need to do is to change the Windows serial numbers and we are ready to go. It saves hours of work, especially as we have the images just configured the way we want them.

I want to have these three images in Proxmox, and work in a similar way with the whole installation. That is, image the complete install. Proxmox with the VM's, and restore it to a new server with the same hardware. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm sure it must be possible using Acronis, Clonezilla or another utilty.

Once the new install is up and running, all I need to do is change the IP addresses, and my clone should be ready.

Of course, the node name will be the same. I do not intend to use the HA features. However I would like to change the node name, as it will make it easier to identify which contract we are working on, and if we have two (or more) Proxmox servers running on the same network, having different node names will make it less likely that you get mixed up as to which node you are working on.

I have done a search, but have not really found the definitive answer to changing the node name of an existing installation. I did try changing the host name in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostnames, but after restarting I had two nodes listed in the web interface - the old node name and the new one. The new one had no VM's listed, the old one did, but they were inaccessible.

So my question is: is there a definitive way to change the node name available anywhere?

Andy

Move the files in /etc/pve/nodes/<nodename>/qemu-server/*.conf to the correct directory (and deleted the directory for the old node name)

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try today. I had a thought though - a description field (like the one for VM's) for the node would probably do what I want. It could be useful for others too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!