Clean NFS Share

milocheri

Sep 1, 2022
Hello, good afternoon, here it's what happened

I just install Proxmox on a OVH dedicated Server wich includes 500GB of NFS storage, so i decide to create a Proxmox Backup Server VM, and mount that nfs storage to the vm
Steps:
1.- create a directory inside Proxmox Backup Server VM
2.- Mount the NFS Storage to that directory
1725391259336.png
3.- I add the directory as Datastore in Proxmox Backup Sever
1725391316858.png
4.- Everything was just fine, the full storage was detected (500GB) , however i decided to change the Name, so i delete the Datastore, and add it again, and now the size detectes is 16.97GB
1725391467309.png

Is there any way to clean it in order get the right amount, in OVH it shows 500GB, in the vm in cli also shows the correct size, only in Proxmox Backup Server Gui is wrong, thanks!
1725391579975.png

Last edited:
Well, you created the datastore at /nfs, but it is mounted at /root/nfs. Therefore, it is now using the root filesystem of the machine.
Remove it and create a new one with /root/nfs as path if that is where you mount the share. :)

Well, you created the datastore at /nfs, but it is mounted at /root/nfs. Therefore, it is now using the root filesystem of the machine.
Remove it and create a new one with /root/nfs as path if that is where you mount the share. :)
I did a fresh reinstall, i create a directory as NFS, i mount the NFS Share
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1725393525772.png

Then i tried to mount, but i got an error message
1725393462230.png
1725393582660.png

It only allows me to add the Datastore with the Path /NFS, and there is where it shows the wrong size

Well, that isn't where the NFS share is mounted though, according to the `df -Ht` screenshot. Are the permissions set correctly, that you can write to the NFS share? For example, touch /root/NFS/testfile?

Well, that isn't where the NFS share is mounted though, according to the `df -Ht` screenshot. Are the permissions set correctly, that you can write to the NFS share? For example, touch /root/NFS/testfile?
I'm able to mount the share as /NFS or /root/NFS
touch /root/NFS/testfile it didn't create the file, but touch /NFS/testfile Yes

____________________________________________________________________________________
1725394245393.png

If you're creating a file in /root/NFS, and looking for that file in /NFS, I would find it strange if it would be there.
try running the command
ls -l /root/NFS
I would suspect the other testfile to be there too.

Judging by the screenshots, /NFS is "just " a folder on your PBS-filesystem (which is why you see the 16 GB), whereas /root/NFS is a folder linked to your NFS-share (where you should see the 500GB).

If you're creating a file in /root/NFS, and looking for that file in /NFS, I would find it strange if it would be there.
try running the command
ls -l /root/NFS
I would suspect the other testfile to be there too.

Judging by the screenshots, /NFS is "just " a folder on your PBS-filesystem (which is why you see the 16 GB), whereas /root/NFS is a folder linked to your NFS-share (where you should see the 500GB).
ls -l /root/NFS
---------------------------
1725402679803.png
-----------------------------
ls -l /NFS
1725402713944.png

----------------------------

If i add the datastore as /NFS i only see 16.97GB, but if i tried to add as /root/NFS i get the error "EPERM: Operation not permitted"
1725403024477.png

Have you checked that your server is allowed to write to that NFS-share?

Also try running these:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/Backup-NFS
chown backup:backup /mnt/Backup-NFS
chmod 775 /mnt/Backup-NFS
mount -t nfs ftpback-bhs1-8.ip-198-100-151.net:/export/ftpbackup/ns5019519.ip-15-235-119.net /mnt/Backup-NFS
chmod -R 775 /mnt/Backup-NFS
touch /mnt/Backup-NFS/testfile-new
ls -l /mnt/Backup-NFS/

(used this as reference for the above)

Have you checked that your server is allowed to write to that NFS-share?

Also try running these:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/Backup-NFS
chown backup:backup /mnt/Backup-NFS
chmod 775 /mnt/Backup-NFS
mount -t nfs ftpback-bhs1-8.ip-198-100-151.net:/export/ftpbackup/ns5019519.ip-15-235-119.net /mnt/Backup-NFS
chmod -R 775 /mnt/Backup-NFS
touch /mnt/Backup-NFS/testfile-new
ls -l /mnt/Backup-NFS/

(used this as reference for the above)
Hello, thank you for your reply, i follow step by step, but i'm still getting the error "EPERM: Operation not permitted" when adding the Datastore
1725468940813.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1725468919802.png

I tried mount the storage as a directory in the PVE, and also it shows 500GB, the only problem is with PBS

1725485659417.png
1725485677303.png

1725485713832.png

I also mount it in Windows

1725485779279.png

I don't know what else to do

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!