Clarification on Ceph OSD Memory Recommendation

ryantw

Jul 24, 2024
Hi all,

I'm wondering about this recommendation for memory requirements for Ceph from the Proxmox VE admin guide: "1 TiB of data, 1 GiB of memory"

I've not seen this elsewhere. Ceph's offical docs have a recommendation of 4 GiB per OSD, though are clear that OSDs can benefit from more memory.

I'm trying to understand where the 1 GiB per 1 TiB recommendation fits:
  • It sounds like this is in addition to the per-OSD memory requirement? 4 GiB + 1 GiB per TiB for every OSD?
  • If I have ten 10 TiB drives, for a total of ten OSDs and 100 TiB storage, would I really need to dedicate 140 GiB of memory to OSDs?
  • Does this recommendation mean that the osd_memory_target parameter should be adjusted, or is this memory anticipated to be used in some other way?
  • Is this recommendation due to the co-location of Proxmox and VMs on the same hardware as Ceph in any way?
Thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!