CIFS mount issue - mount: unknown filesystem type 'cifs'

jac2703

Apr 3, 2012
Hi all,

I am having an issue with prox 2.1 and a centos 6 container.

I am using the container from openvz and have seen their post http://wiki.openvz.org/NFS

Long story short, when trying to mount a directory, I get the following error:
mount: unknown filesystem type 'cifs'

I have noticed that 'cifs' does not show up in
cat /proc/filesystems

Output:
cat /proc/filesystemsnodev cgroup
nodev devpts
ext3
ext4
nodev nfs
nodev nfs4
nodev delayfs
nodev devtmpfs
nodev sysfs
nodev proc
nodev tmpfs
nodev binfmt_misc
nodev fusectl
nodev fuse

I have samba client installed on the container, however I understand that cifs is a module in the kernel and not a separate install.

I also tried, just for kicks,
mount -t nfs / /

which also gives the same error, well, except for nfs being the unknown filesystem type. I know this isn't going to mount anything, but it's syntactically correct for testing this error.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

James.

Try to install samba on the host system (proxmox) and modprobe cifs kernel module. Thereafter try to mount smb share from container.

Try to install samba on the host system (proxmox) and modprobe cifs kernel module. Thereafter try to mount smb share from container.

Hi Awesome, thanks for your reply.

Do you mean to install the samba-client on the guest?

Also, can you tell me how to install the kernel module for modprobe cifs?

Thanks again,

James.

On your proxmox server run aptitude, choose tasks-servers-file server and install samba package. All should work. If don't, run sudo modprobe cifs on your proxmox server.

On your proxmox server run aptitude, choose tasks-servers-file server and install samba package. All should work. If don't, run sudo modprobe cifs on your proxmox server.

Thanks Awesome,

I did as you said on the host and installed Samba via aptitude. I also restarted the host, just in case.

If I run modprobe cifs on the host, I don't get any output. mount seems to work too.

If I run it on a guest I get 'FATAL: Module cifs not found.'.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers,

James.

OpenVZ containers don't support modprobbing kernel modules inside them. You installed samba and cifs kernel module in the host system and now, you should log in to the container and try to mount smb share. it's enough.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!