Choice of processor for a win2022server VM on N100&N5100hosts

Phil1982

Jul 9, 2024
Hello,

Here is the thing, It is a home lab with 3 proxmox nodes and ceph, 2 nodes are with N100 cpu and a last one with a N5100.
There is a windows2022server running on ceph storage I would like to be able to move around the different nodes.
I followed a nice tutorial to install the windows guest :
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_2022_guest_best_practices
Performance was satisfying. However, when live migrating from N100host to N5100host the VM crashes (when processor is set to "host").
So I went to set the processor type to qemu64, the performance was less satisfying, but live migration worked.

I was wondering if someone around here had made recent tests or had a particularly good insight on which processor type would give the best performance while still allow live migration?

Have a nice day,
-Phil

Last edited:
I have no experience with those CPUs, but in general I would try with the current default: x86-64-v2-AES.

Reactions: cwt

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!