Change storage from VLM to ..

per4manc

Aug 7, 2020
Hello,

Ik installed Proxmox today. I am using it at home te play with. i have 1 disk that i use for storage. I made a LVM pool. Now i want to take snapshots. This does not work with LVM it seems. Can i convert mij storage pool to ZFS without losing my VM's? Or is ZFS also not the best option for me?

With regards,

Gerwin Maat
The Netherlands

As these are two different file systems, it is not possible to simply convert from one to the other without formatting the drive. You would need to take an intermediate step of backing up your lvm pool (or the vm data from it) to an external drive, in order to later transfer it back to a newly created ZFS file system.

Or is ZFS also not the best option for me?
It depends on what it is you want to do. That being said, ZFS is a more advanced file system in general and the snapshots feature is very helpful if you want to play around and potentially break things, as they make for a clean and speedy recovery!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!