Change physical NIC for cluster.

DZart

Apr 1, 2019
Hello.
Small question, just want to be sure. I want to change server physical interface used for proxmox cluster (corosync) from 1 Gbit to 10 Gbit. Ceph is already running on this 10G, but it'like 100 MBits top, so i don't expect any influence on corosync stability. IP address will be the same, i just want to free the router 1G ports, where proxmox servers are connected at the moment. Am i right assuming that there is no difference for corosync and proxmox cluster, which NIC is used, only IP address matters to them?

Hi,

a network has two dimensions.
1.) Latency: very important for corosync.
2.) bandwidth: not important for corosync.

We do not recommend running the corosync traffic on a storage network.
Because the storage traffic increase the latency and corosync get problems to deliver in time.
The result is that a cluster gets unstable.
If you have this in consumption with HA your nodes will probably be fenced.

So I would recommend you stay on this setup with a dedicated corosync network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!